This year's Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day is dedicated to the memory of the late Dr. Sally Ride, the first woman in space. Dr. Ride was an early participant in Girl Day and an inspiration for girls and women around the world. Her work continues through Sally Ride Science.
Although the national event takes place today in Washington, DC, Eweek.com wants you to know that there are ways you can start your own "Introduce a Girl to Engineering" movement within your community or company using these idea starters:
- Do hands-on activities with a Girl Scout troop.
- Talk to a class of high school girls about engineering careers.
- Invite a group of girls to your company or lab for a tour.
- Set up a job shadow programming for middle and high school girls.
- Host an engineering event at your office, local museum or school.
- Look at what other groups have done in the Girl Day archives.